Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Regarding Herbs And Spices

I largely learned to do meals like this while I was a graduate student, and usually almost broke. I used a dormitory kitchen. One other student noticed what I was doing and wanted to try it himself.

One day I found him simmering some tomato sauce for spaghetti. I asked him how he had seasoned it, because I couldn't smell oregano or basil.

He explained to me that those seasonings were just too expensive in the store. Well, it's not going to taste the same, I explained back before moving on.

What my bud didn't understand is that good flavor requires an investment. You don't have to buy a spice rack all in one visit to the store. Start with mixed herbs, like Italian seasoning. Buy herbs and spices one at a time, with each visit to the store. They will last a long time, and in the long run the cost is negligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment